Thursday, February 12, 2009

Matt Hildebrand, a Liberty Legend

In my search for great content for the blog, it is becoming clear that athlete interviews are very popular. So, I had the pleasure of catching up with former Liberty University Basketball guard, Matt Hildebrand. Matt was one of the most exciting players ever to play for LU and one of only four LU players to have their jersey’s retired. Of, course I wrote the interview questions from the unique DOME perspective:

Knucklehead: I have to start with the obvious question, What drew you to LU?

Matt Hildebrand: I wanted to play Division 1 basketball and I liked the idea of combining athletics with a Christian environment.

KH: You are #2 all time in assists at LU and # 1 in 3pt Field Goal Percentage. What do you see as your greatest asset as a player, your ability to distribute the ball or your ability as a shooter?

MH: I'm not sure I would put one over the other. Both are important to the offensive effectiveness of a team.

KH: 1994 was a huge year for you. You played a ton of minutes, made 73 three pointers, and made more than 92% of your free throws. What drove you that year, what was different?

MH: I feel like I was motivated from my sophomore through my senior season (as a freshman I didn't really understand what I was getting into). I know that as a senior I felt a greater sense of leadership even though I had been a co-captain since my sophomore year.

KH: 1994 saw you guys winning the Big South title and take on a #1 seed Carolina team that won the NCAA title in 1993. What was that moment like as David taking on Goliath and actually making a run at them?

MH: The highlight of my basketball career. As a team we had worked so hard (many of the same guys together for four years) and to become the first Liberty men’s team to make the NCAA tournament was incredibly fulfilling.

KH: Personally, when that day was over how did it feel to know you dropped 20 points on North Carolina? (Or did the loss sting too much?)

MH: It felt good to know that we had competed with the number one team in the country. When you give it your best effort you can always live with the outcome and we gave it all we had.

KH: Let's see if I can catch you off guard. You hold the highest point scoring game in Vines Center History. How many points and who was it against? (no research please) Talk about being in the zone!

MH: 41 points against Charleston Southern. A player never forgets his high point game. See if I can catch you off guard. How many of my points came from the free throw line?

KH: Great memory! Alright, you got me. Thankfully the LU Sports information folks put out a wonderful media guide though. I see that you hit 19 free throws in that game, very impressive and still a record. You are one of only 4 Flames men to have their Jersey retired. What did that moment in December of 1994 mean to you?

MH: It was a tremendous honor. It had been my desire to represent myself, my family, my school, and my God to the best of my ability and I feel like the Lord honored that. It never could have happened without the support of my coaches and the contributions of my teammates.

KH: You played with 2 of the other 3 with retired jerseys, Peter Aluma and Julius Nwosu. What did it do for your game having those guys in the middle?

MH: They made my job a lot easier. They were two of the most dominant big men the Big South has ever had. Not only were they outstanding offensive players, their biggest contributions may have come on the defensive end with their rebounding and ability to block shots. We were always really good defensively, and I can guarantee you it wasn't because of me.

KH: Have you been able to make many recent LU games? If so what is your impression of this young team?

MH: I've been to a number of their games and I really enjoy watching them play. Coach McCay is doing and outstanding job. They play hard and they have some guys that can really shot the three. A little undersized but they make up for it with heart.

KH: Which is more enjoyable to you: Playing College Hoops or Being a High School Coach?

MH: Playing. With coaching you have the same nervousness but you have no release. As a player you're nervous until the game gets underway. As a coach you’re nervous until the final second.

KH: How did your experience as a college player prepare you for being a High School Coach?

MH: I think it was more my whole career as a player, from High School through some post-college stuff. Gathering from a lot of good coaches. Everyone I've played for has shaped my coaching is one way or another.

KH: Looks like an up and down year so far for your Rustburg team. Give us a short outlook for the rest of your season.

MH: We've won our last 5 games so we're playing well right now. This team has surpassed my expectations and I'm really proud of them for accomplishing what they have this year.

KH: Last and silliest question. You always sported the signature jersey matching t-shirt. You wouldn't still have the one from the NCAA tourney to put up on EBAY would you?

MH: I don't have any of my jerseys but there's a guy in Lynchburg who builds houses. He used to be friends with Coach Meyer's son and he has one of my jerseys. I may have to buy if from him on EBAY.

KH: Thanks Matt, great stuff! And to the Lynchburg builder with the jersey, come on man give the man his jersey back.

That’s what is rolling around in the DOME for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment