Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Bailey Alston, the scoring machine!

My favorite LU basketball player of all time is Bailey Alston. Those who know me well have heard me tell many stories about Bailey’s legendary drives through traffic to the basket. The only bad thing is that we only got to see him play in an LU uniform for 3 years. If he would have played all four for LU, I have no doubt he would own every scoring record imaginable.

Bailey graciously answered some questions for me recently, and the interview was a fun walk through memory lane for me.

Knucklehead: A lot of folks don’t realize that you transferred from Rutgers to LU. So, the obvious question is: what drew you to LU?

Bailey Alston: After deciding to transfer from Rutgers, my roommate form Fork Union Military Academy Richard Osburne’s high school coach Rick Birby was Liberty's Assistant Coach. He and Coach Meyer visited my home in Henderson. My mom was very impressed with Coach Meyer and Coach Birby.

KH: What was it like having to sit out and watch from the sidelines for a year after transferring?

BA: Sitting out for a year was tough, watching your teammates play and wanting to play.

KH: In your first year at LU (1988) you scored 756 points (3rd most in LU history). In that year, you had 3 games where you scored 40 plus points. What does a night like that feel like?

BA: The nights I scored 40 or more points are nights I will never forge. The goal seemed like an Ocean. It's like being in a zone!!

KH: I remembered you having the green light to shoot from day one. As I looked at the stats I see that my memory is right. In the Write State game in 1990, you attempted a Division 1 LU record 28 shots. First, how many of those did you make? Second, what was it like to know the coaches had that much confidence in your game?

BA: Did I shoot 28 times? That may be why I am having trouble with my right arm now!! Just kidding!! K.C. I really don't remember how many I made! Having the green light was fun but also stressful @ times, believe me.

KH: You are third all time in scoring with 2,115 points in just 83 games. For those who never saw you play, which skill lead to more of those points: your classic moves to the basket or your jump shot?

BA: I was more of a scorer. My quickness played a great deal in my scoring. I wasn't necessarily a great shooter but a great scorer.

KH: What is your favorite memory in an LU uniform?

BA: My best memory would be playing Clemson in Little John against Elton Campbell and Dale Davis, and scoring 25 points. Also dunking on Terry Davis of Virginia Union (he later played 10 years in NBA).

KH: You were also there for the 1st point Toilet Paper showers in the Multi-Purpose center. What was that like as a player?

BA: The toilet paper showers were pretty cool!

KH: Alright, you played with the great Tim Scarborough. Was he really as good as he tells everyone, and was that ETSU dunk really that impressive?

BA: Tim was a great teammate. His dunk against ETSU was a great dunk but it wasn't over a 7 footer like Terry Davis!! LOL! And no, Tim was not a better shooter or dibbler than I! LOL! It was fun watching him transform from walk-on to starter. I enjoyed playing beside him!!

KH: Have you been able to make many recent LU games or see them on Television? If so what is your impression of Coach Ritchie McKay and his program?

BA: I am very impressed with Coach McKay and his staff. I had a chance to see them scrimmage ECU here in Greenville earlier in the season.

KH: There is a lot of buzz going around in the program right because of one Seth Curry. What are your thoughts on his game?

BA: I think Seth Curry will break all scoring records.

KH: Thanks Again Bailey. If you’re right, I can’t wait to see Seth Dropping in 40 point games as often as you did.

That’s what’s rolling around in the DOME for now!

1 comment:

  1. "Insightful" is the perfect word to describe this wonderful writing of yours. The artistic blend of this subject with your tone of writing made this a great read. Much love 😘.
    Diaphragm
    Sternum
    Carpal Bones
    Phalanges
    Ulna
    Radius
    Scapula
    Humerus
    Clavicle

    ReplyDelete