Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Thanks Tom

In a time that I refer to as football wasteland, Tom Watson did something I thought couldn’t be done. I had no intention of watching the British Open. I kept up with the scoring the first two days and even watched some highlights, but it was with at best a passing interest.

As I began to hear how well Tom was doing, I began to pay attention. I watched some of the coverage of Tom’s round on Saturday, and WOW. It was a thrill to see great fundamental golf being played. In a day and age where golf has become about the big hitter, it was nice to see someone to play a great all around game the way the game was meant to be played. The amazing part was that he was winning a major at 59.

Sunday started off great as well, and I had fun watching quite a bit of it. Then it all started to go bad on the 14th hole. His famous putting stroke began to let him down. Tom has always been known for his putter, but this time his strength became a weakness. It appeared that he was just plain worn out. I watched the 17th and 18th and began to believe it was just not going to happen. I couldn’t bear to watch after the first 2 holes of the playoff.

It was sad to see this great performance come up just short. But when you take this performance and place it in a list of all time golf accomplishments, it has to rank really high. He single handedly made a tournament without Phil and Tiger watchable. I’m no golf expert by any means, but one thing is for sure, Tom gave us duffers something to hang on to as we grow old. It gives the regular guy a reason a reason to keep playing.

So, thanks Tom. Thanks for giving it your all. Thanks for being such a class act. Thanks for the memory.

That’s what’s rolling around in the DOME for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment