Friday, April 24, 2009

NFL Draft, not a moment too soon


I am a huge NFL fan. I love to watch any game at any time no matter the teams. Yes, I’d even watch the Raiders vs the Lions at 3am (OK, I have a Tivo). Anyway, the time from February through September is brutal for me. Yes, I like other sports. Yes, I was thrilled when the North Carolina Tar Heels just won the NCAA Basketball Championship. But it is just not the same without the NFL.

So, the more the NFL becomes a year round sport (Combine, draft, free agency, etc.) the better for me. I look forward to the draft more and more too, because I’m just not into the baseball frame of mind yet either. I will watch (or Tivo) as much as I possibly can.

This year I have a little extra reason to be interested. A guy I have seen play live in person many times is waiting for his name to be called. Liberty University’s power Running Back, Rashad Jennings, is projected to go in either the 3rd or 4th round this weekend. Rashad is a big, bruising runner with a crazy workout ethic that has lead to his pro-ready physique.

I've seen where some scouts and writers don’t seem to think he is allusive enough or has enough break away speed, but my eyes tell me differently. Yes, I know the level of competition LU plays is not that high in comparison to some other runners in the draft, but I’ve seen him hit a hole way quick and be gone before you knew it. As far as being allusive he is much better than those scouts seem to think. I think he has the ability, and will improve fairly rapidly in the right situation just like he showed during Senior Bowl week. This kid really wants it, and will work hard with the coaches to be the best he can possibly be.

I've even read where some critics mention his upright running style as a negative. I always remember how NFL scouts didn’t like Philip River’s delivery and some even called it a disaster. Well it seems to be working out pretty well for him. It doesn't really matter if Rashad is running upright or not when he's mowing over a defender or two. I also think some of these scouts suffer from the “I don’t know LU or this guy very well, so I’ll make something up” syndrome. Those who have seen him play, or workout are very impressed and positive.

I had tried to catch up with Rashad before the draft for a quick interview, but couldn’t work it out. But, today I ran across an article from a guy who did. His name is Ed the Sports fan, and it is a great read (http://tinyurl.com/dfoz67).

Here is the text of the interview portion of the interview:

“I had the chance to talk with Rashad earlier and discuss his thoughts on the draft, life at Liberty, and his potential contribution to an NFL team.

Ed The Sports Fan: How you been? T-Minus 6 days until the draft, how you feeling?

Rashad Jennings: Every emotion in the world is running through my body, from the highs to the lows. I remember I was the kid on the sideline "picking my nose" just wondering what would happen next. (Laughs) It's a comfortable yet exciting feeling though, being able to do what I said I wanted to do as a 6-year old is a liberating feeling.

ETSF: Some sources are projecting you in about the 3rd-round, and I see you as the "Tim Hightower" of the draft and could be a real value pick. How do you feel you can contribute to an NFL team?

Rashad: Whichever team selects me, my first priority will be to help the team win. Winning over the respect of the players in the locker room, and doing whatever it takes to get us a victory is the biggest thing.

ETSF: Who was your favorite team growing up?

Rashad: Well, when I tell people everyone laughs, but my favorite team growing up was the Arizona Cardinals. Everyone around here was either Redskins or Cowboys fans, but I really liked Arizona!

ETSF: (laughing) Wow, didn't expect that one. Favorite player?

Rashad: Definitely Eddie George.

ETSF: What would you say the toughest or hardest things you've dealt with growing through the draft process?

Rashad: Waiting for the actual draft, waking up everyday not knowing what will happen on April 25th. Also not knowing what type of recognition and success I would've had at Pitt. At the end of the day, football is football, and I feel like I would've been successful wherever I played.

ETSF: Tell us what you got out of the Senior Bowl earlier this year.

Rashad: The coaching was the best, getting the opportunity to work with (Jacksonville coach) Jack Del Rio and (Cincinnati coach) Marvin Lewis was the best. I feel like I'm very coachable, and being able to learn simple techniques and tips worked wonders even in practice. Imagine what I could do in a real game. Plus, the pros come out and worked out with us as well, and Maurice Jones-Drew roomed with me while at the Senior Bowl. That was fun.

ETSF: What's the first thing you're going to do after you hear your name called?

Rashad: (Laughs) Probably ball out and start crying, feeling elated. Being thankful for my family and truly being happy. After that, just focusing on getting on that plane and going to work.

Rashad will be graduating with a double-major in Sports Management and Business, and will be walking the stage May 9th.”

All I can say is Go Rashad. Make us Lynchburg folks and Liberty Fans proud. I believe he will make some team and its fans very happy.

That’s what is rolling around in the DOME for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment