Thursday, January 29, 2009

Pre-Doomed Super Bowl Prediction

Despite my better judgement, every year I end up shouting out my Super Bowl Prediction to the masses. It has not worked out so well over all, even though I had the Giants by 3 over the Patriots last year. I have a tendency to pick the underdog.

So this year, we have a Super Bowl that lacks the sparkle some would like to see. But, to me I see a perfect match-up. I see an offense with lots of stud players (Arizona) versus the best defense in the league (Pittsburgh). Kurt Warner gets the ball away the quickest I've ever seen, and Pittsburgh's pass rush is one of the quickest ever. Yet another good match up on this side of the ball is Larry Fitzgerald and Anquan Boldin against that incredibly athletic secondary of the Steelers. This could get really good.

Even on the other side of the ball the match up is good. The Cardinals defense is actually very good, and Blitzes just as often as the Steelers (I heard today that both blitz 39% of the time). The Steelers offense "can" be really good if the running game is on and Ben Rothlisburger can stay healthy. The Steelers will want to run early and often in this one. The Cardinals will try to stop that run and at the same time put some huge pressure on Ben. Again, interesting.

It's time to make my pick. I believe that Warner and the Cardinals will find a way to get it done on offense. Fitz and Boldin will both have big days. Their offense will prove to be more than the Steelers can handle. Warner will get the ball off quickly enough that the blitz will be somewhat ineffective. He will catch them off guard early, and they will be forced to pull back from the blitz. I think the Cardinals will easily penetrate the Steelers O line and Ben will spend a lot of the evening on the ground. I do think the Steelers will be somewhat effective on the ground though. So, I am going with Arizona 31, and Pittsburgh 21. Yes, a 10 point win. You may think I'm crazy, and you may be right. But, in this case I think you will find me to be right on!

That's what is rolling around in the DOME for now!

P.S. - This is a bold post I've just made considering I have a ton of Steeler fan friends, and that the poll is heavily Steelers too. It appears that I am on an island by myself. Oh well, I can take the heat. Bring it on! Then I will get all the credit since I'm by myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment