Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Headin to the Furnace

Tonight, myself, a friend, and my two oldest sons are headed over to Liberty University to the Vines Center to watch the Flames take on the High Point Panthers in College Hoops.

This is the time of the year when my attention fully shifts from the NFL over to College hoops. I have been paying attention to hoops somewhat, but I have still kept alert to my favorite - the NFL. Well, the Superbowl is this Sunday. In my opinion it will be a good one. I think the Cardinals will provide the Steelers all the can handle. But, back on topic, I am about to be fully engulfed in college hoops fever.

The college game is by far more compelling and entertaining to me than the NBA. I love the passion the kids bring into their teams. They are there to win, and it is evident in the play. I think it is more structured, and yet more unpredictable. Most of these kids have played the game their entire life, and it is what they live for at this moment. Yes, they are getting an education, but in reality it is about that round ball and winning. Every team and every game brings something different. The style, pace, look, feel, attitude, and so on changes with each new game. Even when you are at a poor game (such as the UVA / Florida State game I endured this past Saturday), there is something interesting or compelling in every game.

Tonight I look forward to seeing all the Freshmen superstars LU brings. Obviously, the big press and media has flocked to Seth Curry, and rightly so. He is a phenom and will only get better. He leads the country in Freshman scoring, and is one of the smoothest players I have ever seen. I personally love the style of one Jesse Sanders the point guard. He is gusty, fast, and an all around great player. This team flows through him. Without him (as during the 2OTs in the loss to Radford) this team is not nearly as difficult to defend and much easier to score against. He is clearly also a leader. Brolin Floyd is also a big presence on the floor.

All of these guys are Freshmen, but they are they future of this program. This team will continue to have ups and downs this year, but the future looks bright and hot.

So, tonight, I will sit with my boys and my friend and cheer on the Flames. More importantly, I will take in all the sights, sounds, and fun that make College Basketball the game for me.

That's what's rolling around in the DOME today!

No comments:

Post a Comment