Friday, November 2, 2012

Why I'm such a BIG Liberty Flames Supporter

I’ve been a fan of many Athletic Teams for most of my life.  I’ve cheered for my Chargers, clapped for my Padres, and followed several other teams faithfully as well.  I’ve also been cheering for all of the Liberty Flames teams for years.  As a matter of fact, most folks have always known me as a huge Liberty fan.  But over the last several years my perspective has changed.

I am no longer just a Flames Fan, I am a huge supporter of all of our student athletes.  I have had a chance to meet quite a few of them in recent years, and I am 100% sure these are not your average student athletes.  I have also been exposed to and met many other student athletes from other schools.  The difference is stark in many cases.  You see, there are tons of great athletes in our world, but not many of them are also great people.  Many of them are gifted athletes who have always been told and felt that they are the greatest, and it shows.  They are all about their athletic ability and about themselves.

What Liberty draws are really good, redeemed young men and women who happen to be gifted athletes.  The difference is a clear understanding that it is not all about them.  No, they are not perfect, but man do they ever strive to be.  These are young men and women that God will use to impact our world in a very positive way.  I talk to them, and I hear respect and care.  I talk to some who are injured, and I hear about God being in control and see peace.  You see them still plugged into the lives of their teammates and coaches even though they cannot play.  I see these guys and girls pouring into each other’s lives all the time.  Do they struggle? Yep.  But they struggle with hope.

You ask why I’m such a huge Liberty supporter?  It’s because it’s really easy to cheer for and support these student athletes.  That is why I try not to just focus on just wins or losses.  It’s about so much more.  It’s about life, and life more abundantly through Christ.  It’s about lives that live on for a purpose far greater and longer lasting than just accomplishments on the field.  And that is why I will back these men and women up as Loudly and Proudly as I possibly can without apology. Yes, even when they lose.

GO FLAMES!

 

1 comment: